Today I went over my old Python code, back when I first started programming. I’d say that I found what I had written to be largely amusing to say the least. Loads of ugly hacks all over the place, duplicated functions, etc… in short, a real mess.
I’m quite happy of the results I achieved in the past month, since I finally learnt how to code properly and started making my own classes (this book was immensely helpful). I hope I improve enough to be able to make a package for what I’ve made, as there is a distinct lack of annotation tools for microarray data in Python (Bioconductor steals the spotlight for everything, but I can’t stand R).
I will probably post a small script to make BED files from properly formatted files tomorrow or so, once I clean up the hardcoded stuff.
Luca Beltrame GENERAL · SCIENCE